Travelling abroad with your pet

When the UK was a European Union (EU) member you were able to take your dog or cat from the UK to the EU and back again without them having to go into quarantine, provided that certain conditions were met such as having a pet passport and getting them microchipped.

From 1 January 2021, pet passports are no longer valid. You can still take your pet to EU countries from England, Scotland and Wales but you must follow a different procedure. The EU has agreed to give Great Britain “part 2 listed status” which allows pets to travel within EU borders providing the owners obtain an animal health certificate (AHC).

The AHC confirms that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. You will a new AHC each time you travel with your pet and you must obtain it at least 10 days before you travel. The AHC is valid for a single trip into the EU including onward travel within the EU and re-entry to Great Britain up to four months after the date of issue. An AHC must be issued by an accredited veterinary practice (Official Vet).

You can find more information here.

If you want to take your pet to Northern Ireland from England, Scotland or Wales, you will also have to get an AHC for your pet just as if you were going on holiday to the EU. Additionally, dogs will have to be treated against a type of tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis) one to five days before arrival. They’ll also need this to travel from England, Scotland and Wales into Ireland, Finland, Norway and Malta.

UK citizens living in the EU

If you live in the EU and have a pet passport issued by an EU member state, you can use it to bring your pet to the UK after 1 January 2021. You will be able to return to the EU with the EU-issued pet passport as well. If you are using a UK-issued pet passport, the government’s website says you should speak to your vet who will help you to ensure you are compliant with EU rules.

Our microchips can be used for all animals covered by the UK travel requirements and the EU Pet Travel Scheme. Many owners buy a scanner to use whenever they travel abroad. Please contact us for more information and prices for our low-cost scanners suitable for travelling with your pet.

Find out more

Please Note

The UK does not permit the importation of dogs, cats and ferrets that have not been vaccinated against rabies. Once they have reached the minimum age for vaccination (as stated on the vaccine manufacturer’s datasheet) they must be prepared in accordance with the requirements as laid out on the Defra website, taking account of the required order of preparation.

Please call Pet-ID Microchips on +44 (0)1273 837676 or email for more details.