Fair Processing Policy
– how we use personal information
This fair processing notice explains why Pet-ID Microchips Ltd collects information about you and how that information may be used.
Pet-ID Microchips Ltd collects information about you to provide its products and services including RFID microchips for animal identification, associated equipment, microchip registration and reunification services and pet insurance.
1. Who we are
When we refer to “Pet-ID”, “we”, “us” and “our” in this notice it means Pet-ID Microchips Ltd of The Barn, Danworth Farm, Cuckfield Road, Hurstpierpoint, BN6 9GL.
When we say “you” and “your” in this notice, we mean anyone whose personal information we may collect, including
- anyone purchasing or wishing to purchase microchips or associated equipment
- anyone making contact with us whether via post, telephone, email, social media or through our website
- anyone registered or wishing to register as an implanter for the purpose of recording microchip registrations
- anyone registered or wishing to register as an authorised person or organisation identified as having an interest in the microchip registration of animals
- anyone who has been trained to implant microchips by Pet-ID or has enquired about Pet-ID microchip implant training
- pet keepers and anyone identified as having an interest in the products or services of Pet-ID or Pet-ID Insurance
2. How we use personal information
To hold and process your personal data we must have a ‘lawful basis’ for doing so. The six lawful bases are
- the personal data is being processed to comply with a contractual obligation we owe to you or a third party (“Contractual Obligation”)
- the personal data is being processed to allow us to comply with a legal obligation we have to you or a third party (“Legal Obligation”)
- the personal data is being processed with your consent (“Consent”)
- the personal data is being processed to enable us to perform a public function (“Public Function”)
- the personal data is being processed to protect ours, yours or a third parties vital interests (“Vital Interests”)
- the personal data is being processed where we have a legitimate interest in processing it and such processing does not unduly impact your or your rights (“Legitimate Interest”)
More information on each of these lawful bases can be found here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/lawful-basis-for-processing/.
We use personal information in the following ways:
|Use of personal information||Lawful basis|
You are not obliged to provide us with personal information, but we cannot provide our products and services without it. You have the right to object to us using your personal information.
You can do this at any time by telling us and we will consider your request and either stop using your information or explain why we are not able to. Further details can be found below.
We use your personal information to market products and services to you.
Our marketing activities may include providing information to you about products and services, promotions, special offers, news and events by
We will either do this ourselves or use third party partners to do it for us. Where we use a third party we will ensure that they handle your personal data in accordance with this Fair Processing Notice and in accordance with our written instructions.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information about our products and services you can tell us at any time by using the contact details found in section 9, “Know your rights”.
4. The personal information we collect
We collect the following types of personal information about you so we can complete the activities in section 2, “How we use personal information”
- basic personal details such as name, age, address and gender
- your customer type (e.g. pet keeper, vet, welfare, breeder)
- your e-mail address
- your personal or organisation’s address
- your personal or organisation’s telephone number(s)
- financial details such as direct debit or payment card information
- business activities if it is relevant to your relationship with us
5. Where we collect personal information
We will obtain your personal information directly from you, your representatives or from information you have made public, for example on social media.
We may receive personal information about you, when you contact Pet-ID for example by doing any of the following
- purchasing a Pet-ID product or service from us
- telephoning, texting, writing by post or email, or communicating via online channels to Pet-ID
- registration of a Pet-ID microchip by an authorised implanter or registrar
- updating registration details for a Pet-ID microchip
- entering Pet-ID competitions
6. Sharing personal information
If your pet is eligible, and you do not opt out, your data will be passed to Allianz Insurance plc in order to set up 4 weeks free Pet ID Insurance for your pet. Allianz Insurance plc sells, underwrites and administers the insurance.
We may share your personal information with
- selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you
- credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you
- prospective buyers in the event we wish to sell all or part of our business
7. Transferring personal information outside the UK
We use servers located in the United Kingdom to store your personal information where it is protected by UK law.
If we, or any of our suppliers, use servers located in the European Union (EU) to store your personal information, it will be protected by laws equivalent to those in the UK.
If any of our suppliers have servers outside the EU, our contracts with these suppliers will require them to provide equivalent levels of protection for your personal information.
We will not transfer your personal data out of the European Economic Area without ensuring that your rights and freedoms as a data subject are protected.
8. How long we keep personal information
We keep information only for as long as we need it to administer the products and services we provide, manage our business or as required by law or contract.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
9. Know your rights
You have the right to
- object to us using your personal information. We will either agree to stop using it or explain why we are unable to (the right to object)
- ask for a copy of the personal information we hold about you, subject to certain exemptions (data subject access request)
- ask us to update or correct your personal information to ensure its accuracy (the right of rectification)
- ask us to delete your personal information from our records if it is no longer needed for the original purpose (the right to be forgotten)
- ask us to restrict the use of your personal information in certain circumstances (the right of restriction)
- ask for a copy of the personal information you provided to us, so you can use it for your own purposes (the right to data portability)
- complain if you feel your personal information has been mishandled. We encourage you to come to us in the first instance but you are entitled to complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at www.ico.org.uk
- ask us, at any time, to stop using your personal information, if using it based only on your consent (the right to withdraw your consent)
If you wish to exercise any of these rights you can do so by contacting us
Pet-ID Microchips Ltd
Phone +44 (0)1273 837 676
Please note that you do not always have all of the rights outlined above. Your ability to exercise your rights depends on the lawful basis we are relying on to process your data (as specified in section 2). For example, you do not have the right to be forgotten where we are processing your personal data pursuant to a legal obligation (i.e. the legal obligation for dogs to be microchipped).
More information about your rights and how and when you can exercise them can be found here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/.
10. Data Protection contact details
If you have any queries about how we use your personal information, please contact us
Pet-ID Microchips Ltd
Phone +44 (0)1273 837 676
Changes to our Fair Processing Notice
Occasionally it may be necessary to make changes to this notice. When that happens we will provide you with an updated version at the earliest opportunity. The most recent version will always be available on our website www.pet-idmicrochips.com